This is what I can teach you…
Photo by Jess Hobbs
Wow. Wow. Wow. We just got back from a whilrwind trip to NYC where we had the opportunity to share the work for the Flux Foundation with the TED community…and beyond…at the TED 2010: Full Spectrum Auditions. What an inspiring experience. We shared the stage with some truly incredible people — musicians, astrophysicists, artists, innovators, makers, side-splitting satirists and so much more.
Check out our talk here! We start at 1:06:30.
In our talk, we asked the audience to participate. We asked people to write their name and address on a postcard and swap it with their neighbor. Then, we asked them to write down one thing they could teach someone — anything at all that they know how to do. We collected those cards. And what we got back was nothing short of totally awesome. A long list of the amazing skills and talents in that room. We did the same thing at Maker Faire last weekend with exactly the same results. People know how to do truly amazing stuff. We are going to drop all those postcards in the mail today. These little surprises will be dropping into mailboxes in cities around the world over the next week from Columbus to Paris, Chicago to Lucerne, and Brooklyn to London.
Learning and teaching is at the heart of what we’re doing in building really big art together. Everyone is a student and everyone is a teacher. And we all have something to learn. Here’s a list of everything you could learn from the folks in NYC at TED. Prepare to be inspired!
This is what they can teach you…
- Creative writing
- How to play the ukulele
- How to build geodesic structures
- How to dance Bhangra!
- How to play the marimba
- “You have a responsibility to yourself to learn enough to question everything. Or at the very least understand that correlation does not imply causation.”
- I can teach you how to write novels
- One thing I can teach…how to…of god…I don’t know…eat chocolate unabashedly
- I can teach you how to choose a great Bordeaux!
- I can teach people to work together for a common goal — quickly
- I can teach you all about ceramics
- “You are made of star stuff — the iron, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, etc. in your body was created in the hearts of stars. You’re part of the universe.”
- I can teach women (& men) to speak globally!
- I can teach listening skills to children and adults.
- Unconditional love
- I can teach kids about science fair projects
- Solar energy!
- I can teach how to get the best out of someone.
- How to center yourself. Be close to your heart.
- I can teach how technology can create connection and learning experience for kids.
- I can teach you how to juggle.
- I can teach someone how to be creative and communicate an idea.
- “Be the change you want to see in the world. Encourage others to live their own calling.”
- Giving. Generosity.
- I will teach you the meaning of life…and imagination.
- I can teach you how to experience ecstasy on a daily basis.
- Outside of my day job, I teach yoga. Move. Breath. Be free.
- I can teach people tools to help people do things they feel passionate about.
- Setting goals
- High altitude kite construction
- To work hard
- Mentoring process
- I can teach you how to give yourself a break
- I can teach people how to blow smoke rings
Stay tuned for some updates on BrollyFlock. While we were in NYC, the rest of the crew has been hard at work building brollies and electronics and so much more.
Leave a Reply